Monday, October 8, 2012

Boiled Egg


How hard is it to make Hard-boiled eggs?

You put some eggs in a pan, you add water to cover, you boil them for 10 to 15 minutes, you cool them down in cool water, you peel and use.

Sounds complicated so I decided to consult with my now primary brain (google) to find a recipe on how to boil the perfect egg.

The one I followed had an additional step which I had never tried before:
“After allowing the eggs to sit in the boiled water for 12 to 15 minutes, drain the hot water from the pan and before starting to cool them with running cold water or adding ice to the pan, shake the pan vigorously to break the shells of the boiled eggs which will allow the the eggs to cool faster and make them easier to peel”

After draining the hot water I restored the lid and gave the pan a vigorous shake.

The recipe did not include a chart to measure how “vigorously” this step was to be.

When I removed the lid of the pan to begin adding cool water, I found the eggs had turned into egg salad, which is okay, but it included all of the shells in little pieces.

In the future, I will be leaving this step out and reverting back to the “tap the eggs on the counter” to break the shells and separate them from the object of my affection.

New steps in recipes aren’t always meant to be followed by everyone, sometimes they are meant for the daintier cooks only.

Until next time

KC

1 comment: